Friday, July 13, 2007

Miso Hungry for Miso Soup!

Lately I have been craving Miso Soup, but I didn't have the time or money to go to an asian restaurant and order any. I was at the store and remembered seeing "instant miso soup" packages in the "world foods" isle at Alberstsons. I made my way over and found the exact packages I had remembered.

Kikkoman's makes packages of Instant Miso Soup. The packages come in portions of 3 for about 3 dollars a package. All you have to do is dump the contents into a bowl and pour 2/3 cup boiling water into the bowl, stir, and enjoy! The soup comes in three flavors-- Tofu Miso Soup, Shiro Miso Soup (white), and Aka Miso Soup (red). I decided to go with the Tofu Miso Soup to try and see how the dried tofu would taste. Also, I don't know what the difference between white and red miso soup is. Is red spicier?


My review of the soup? Well, I liked it. Not nearly as great as getting home-made or restaurant made soup, but if you are on the go or at work and have a hankering for it, it is pretty decent and even the tofu bits weren't too terrible.




Anyways, I was googling Miso Soup and found a very interesting article. Consuming foods with high amounts of soy may help reduce the risk of breast cancer. from Breastcancer.org

This is why some people believe that the lower risk of breast cancer seen in Asian women living in Asia may be due, at least in part, to the high soy content in their diet. These women eat a lot of soy products, including tofu, textured vegetable protein, and a paste made of salted and fermented soybeans called miso.

But, of course, this is all not proven yet, just another theory on how to reduce breast cancer. Still, I don't think eating 2-3 servings of Miso Soup can be all that damaging, so why not do it? You really have nothing to risk.